Monday, June 11, 2018

Grill day

We've had the same Vermont Castings gas grill for about 8 years now, its played a support role in many of my videos. Recently I noticed a random blast of flame coming from a strange spot. Initially I thought it was due to a piece of crud covering a gas jet but it turns out the burner had holes rusted in it.

 

I suspect I could have welded in patches to save the old burner but it wouldn't be pretty and wouldn't last. That was the "cheap" burner which lasted 8 years, this time I opted for the "premium stainless steel burner". If it lasts another 8 years I'll be happy.

New burner, new briquette tray: 


New ceramic briquettes, new porcelain coated grill grates: 


Total cost about $150 shipped. $150 doesn't buy much in a grill...

To save wear and tear on the grill grates Angie bought some copper/silicone mats that go over the grates and prevent crud from cooking onto them, seems to work good and because they're thin you still get lines on the food.

No comments: