Saturday, January 19, 2019

Groomer Madness

Big storm on the way so day 2 of making sure the groomers are ready. Our fearless leader is actually on a snowmobiling trip to Idaho so today Ben and I went over to look at his Tucker:



A Tucker is a weird machine, I've heard it called "Farm Equipment with delusions of grandure." Its basically a 1ton truck with two rear axles and a cab over on tracks. The front axle pivots to steer. The blade on the front is 4 way, up, down and twist which is to say you can lift either end. You don't plow a whole lot with a Tucker because there is one big tie-rod that steers it and if you break the tie-rod end you're hooped...



Power is a Cummins 4BT, I think this one is rated at 135hp, ours is an '89 and is clapped out. Nobody has taken care of it even to the minimal level that Ben and I take care of the Pisten Bully and ASV.



Anyway it fired up pretty readily at 30F, the key is broken off in the lock, you start it with the stub, so hinky.  The hydraulics all work but drive Ben crazy since they're backwards, the front set of controls run the drag, the rear the blade. The Pisten Bully is the other way around. The ASV controls are all in a row so they both drive me crazy.

The accelerator pedal was sticky like the ASV was yesterday so I went back later to lube it up. At FLAPS I found a can of Fluid Film which claims to be "Penetrant, lubricant, protectant" and it was the cheapest magic goop they had so I grabbed it. The pedal free'd up pretty easily and now smells vaugely of sheep...

No comments: