Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The continuing saga of a foot gone to the gout

So I did get to my doctor, she gave me a big prescription of the magic pills, she also gave me a prescription for Allopurinol which is an anti-uric acid drug. Two weeks later my uric acid levels are normal and my foot only barely hurts. I've also made an interesting discovery, if I ingest some alcohol my foot hurts less.
Thats crazy, for most people alcohol is a major gout trigger. Everybody says its crazy, I KNOW its crazy but its true. I have a couple drinks and the next day my foot hurts less.
Anyway I've been taking hydrochlorothiazide to lower my blood pressure. Apparently a common side effect is gout. So end that, now what do we want me on for blood pressure? Enter Carvedilol which is a non-specific beta blocker. Unfortunately its not doing the job, my blood pressure is still relatively high.
Finally yesterday I met with my cardiologist. He's a great guy and I really like him, if more doctors were like him people would hate going to the doctor less. He's got me on a specific beta blocker, I can't remember the name right now but its apparently a beta blocker just for blood pressure problems, we'll see how that goes. At the very least what I've learned is that for blood pressure problems you want to deal with a cardiologist. He consulted with me, came up with a plan WITH me, and gave me 4 weeks of pills to try. Then we'll decide what to do.

I've been on 3 other blood pressure pills without ANYBODY asking me what I wanted to do...

No comments: