Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Another new toy: or "What spends the summer in your yard?"

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I haven't told you about this, I've been harboring a secret:


Its a hard secret to hide, its 7 feet wide and weighs 9,000 pounds.

A few years ago I rejoined the Coldbrook Snowmobile Club which is a requirement of registering a snowmobile here in MA. I saw on their Facebook group that they needed people to help with grooming. These kind of clubs are all the same, the same people do all the work so I figured I'd help out. The first night I got to ride in the machine pictured, we call it "The ASV" since thats the manufacturer and we only have one. The idea is to pull a kind of cheese grater arrangement (the drag) over the trail to smooth it out, cut down the bumps, fill in the low spots and pack it all hard. This makes riding a lot more pleasant.


After that one night in the ASV I switched to riding in the bigger machine, a Pisten Bully PB200


and so things went for a couple years. Once or twice a week Ben and I would go out and groom the trails. I mostly sat in the right (passenger's) seat and opened gates or moved branches or whatever out of the trail. I got a little seat time too but mostly I just helped out.

Then last January on a bitterly cold (like 6F) day I got a call "Do you think you can get that ASV to start?" Remember the part where I had only been in the ASV once? I didn't even know HOW to start it, but what the heck, I've been driving diesel cars for years how different could it be?

Problem #1, the batteries have been replaced but not installed. I didn't take them apart and I've never seen them installed.

After a lot of head scratching I got everything installed and the engine cranking over but it didn't seem to excited with the idea of running. So I took my heat gun and stuck it in the air intake and heated it up until the canister was warm to the touch. When I hit the key it fired up like it was July. My grin was so big I thought the top of my head would fall off.

So thats the story of how I became the ASV operator. Theres more to it of course, those first couple trips were pretty scary, the time I'd spent running the Pisten Bully hard gotten me trained well enough to be terrible, now I'm learning a smaller machine thats actually more difficult to run. The problem is the lack of size and power. When running the Pisten Bully if you go into a turn overloaded you might run out of traction and sink in the snow, in the ASV you run out of power and can't make the turn. The problem is that the ASV is then more annoying to recover, so I spend a bunch of time backing up which leaves a big pile of snow from the drag that I have to deal with.

Still its a hoot, I drive around the snowmobile trails at 6mph turning a rutted out goat trail into a smooth 7foot wide highway through the woods. People riding by give us the thumbs up and thank us for our hard work.

Which finally brings us to the picture at the top of this post where the ASV is living in my front yard for the summer. At the end of last season we went out for our (Mike goes with me, we don't like to have an operator out alone) last run and I'd just gotten the machine warmed up and the drag full and grooming good when all of a sudden we're enveloped in steam. Turns out a heater hose has broken under the cab. We limp to the beach where we'll be holding a bbq later that day.


Turns out the same thing had happened the year before and they had spliced the break so I used that splice to hook the two heater hoses together which let me limp it back to the barn. A couple months ago I finally got a chance to fix it. I bought 18' of 3/4" heater hose and had 6" left over afterward. The heater core sits right at the very front o the machine, the engine is in the rear so the hoses are very long.


These are the failed hoses, you can see I had to cut them in half to get them out, the cab of the machine tilts to allow access to the underside but it was still pretty tight access. All things considered its not that bad of a job, I spent maybe 3 hours for the whole deal including adding a couple gallons of coolant. I had to add almost another whole gallon once I got the engine to warm up fully and I expect I'll have to add more the first time we go out, its a challenge to get the heater core to fill, its high above the engine and way in front...

Anyway heres hoping we get some snow this winter so the might ASV and I can cruise the trails again "making the white ribbon".

No comments: