Monday, February 22, 2021

New tool day

 You've probably guessed by this point that I like tools. I've got lots of them. One in particular I've had for a long time is my Craftsman 19.2v cordless drill. Angie gave me it as a gift probably 15 years ago. It's been fantastic although one of the batteries quit early on from lack of use. Recently the other one started going dead while sitting and I knew it was time to move along. I had some money due to me from my credit card company so I opted to cash that out into some Home Depot gift cards which included at 10% bonus and start shopping.

To start with I limited my search to Milwaukee and Dewalt figuring they were the two big players. I started asking folks and quickly got inundated with choices including Rigid and Ryobi. Buddy Ben is a fan of Ryobi "Because they're cheap." He used to work at a fish farm and they used cheap tools "Because they're going to get dropped in a fish tank anyway." This advice gathering period went on for nearly a week leaving me just about as confused as when I started.

A couple days ago the gift cards finally came in and I took the ride to go shopping.


Yes, Makita.

Looking at all the choices and handling all the different drills I quickly came to the conclusion that they're basically all the same. The feel about the same in the hand, they're about the same shape, same weight, same power, similar cost (except Ryobi which is cheaper, but ugly) etc. So I don't think you can really go all that wrong with any of the name brands. In fact I suspect the Harbor Freight tools are probably made in the same factories and are probably just as good.

So why Makita? Well a couple reasons:
1. The 18v batteries are also used in the 36v line, they just get doubled up. This means I only need one set of batteries. Yeah, Dewalt flex volt, I know, but you need to buy the big battery to use in the smaller tool, it doesn't go the other way.

2. Dewalt is owned by "Stanley Black and Decker" which also owns Craftsman and Porter Cable. Milwaukee is owned by Techtronic Industries which also owns Ryobi and Rigid. Makita is owned by... Makita. They're the same basic company they have been since 1915 which makes them basically the only non-zombie hand tool brand on the market.

I hate zombie brands, how can Ryobi, Rigid and Milwaukee really be different if they're all the same company? Corporate consolidation is a drag and it sickens me to see proud old companies strung along just for their brand loyalty.

3. The first cordless electric drill I ever used, heck probably the first one I ever SAW was a Makita.

4. My Makita corded 4 1/2" angle grinder. I bought it at Sears back in 1999 and it's been given the hot supper (worked hard) on the regular for 22 years now without any issues. That kind of loyalty in a tool inspires loyalty in me.


A comparison of the new and old drills.

So what did I get exactly? I bought the hammer drill/impact driver combo with 2x 4ah batteries. I picked this one specifically because Home Depot had a deal where that kit came with a free 5ah battery which is normally $150. It also means I got the drill and impact with the most torque and larger batteries. There was an option for 2x 5ah batteries but it was another $50 and only 2 batteries, so I'm thinking the one I got was the best deal.

The drill and driver are both brushless which means there are no brushes to wear out, they make more power with less friction and energy used and they're shorter so they'll fit more places. Weight is comparable to the old drill, probably slightly lighter.


The first task for the impact driver came sooner than I expected. I had to pull the handlebar area apart on my 1998 Arctic Cat Jag. The plastic surround is held with a couple screws into the gas tank, I had a heckuva time getting at them with a screwdriver but that little impact driver got right in no problem and the magic of impact pulled them right out. It was SUPER helpful, paid for itself on the first job. The light is also really nice, its great to be able to see what you're doing.

I'm not sure what my next move is, I'm thinking about either a sawzall or an electric chainsaw. We've got a Harbor Freight "Bauer" cordless chainsaw at camp and I've been really impressed with it. I'm thinking one would be really handy in the grooming machine, my Husky is a great saw but its big and needs to be fueled, etc. an electric would take up less space and just be faster to use. Makita has several options both 18v and 36v. I'm not sure which is the better choice but with 3 batteries I'm well equipped either way.

No comments: