Thursday, April 15, 2021

Airgun fun

 What with the ongoing ammunition shortage anybody wanting to maintain their shooting skills needs to look to alternate methods. One idea for that is airguns.

A great place to pick up a cheap gun is from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), I recently ordered a couple Daisy 835s from them.


When I ordered there were both standard and monte carlo stock options, this is the standard, just about as I opened the box. You can see that no rear sight is installed, the little black box has a brand new peep sight, the little envelope contains different inserts for the front sight.

This is the monte carlo stock gun. With the rear sight installed it took maybe a dozen shots to get things dialed in. Here we're shooting at a range of 10 meters. The target is decidedly not correct for this range, I need to pick up some proper 10m airgun targets but the results were still pretty impressive.


This is my worst group of the day, about 3/4". I was shooting in a standard sitting position, knees bent, elbows on knees. I wasn't trying particularly hard, I'd put 5 pellets at a time into the top of the tin the pellets come in and load and fire fairly rapidly.


This is probably the best group of the batch, again 5 shots, now under 1/2". I think there is more accuracy to be had, the guns came with slings that would tighten up the front arm considerably. I also need to try some bench shooting and some more pellets. I've been using Crossman pellets that I bought some years ago. They were probably on sale at Wal-Mart. Airguns tend to be sensitive to ammunition so it is quite likely that using different pellets would result in greater accuracy.

No comments: