Wednesday, September 1, 2021

A good way to use up zucchini

 It's that time of year again where if you leave your car unlocked somebody might put a bunch of zucchini inside.

We somehow ended up with a bunch of zucchini plants this year and of course a bunch of zucchini. I usually try to pick 'em when they're small but that doesn't always work out and of course we end up with a bunch of big ones. What to do? Angie made some zucchini bread but even that gets old after awhile. Then I remembered back to an idea I tried during the Coleman cooking challenge, zucchini boats...


I got a couple of those big zucchini, sliced in half and carved out the seeds. I left a plug at each end to keep them as boats. I got rid of the seeds but kept a little of the pulp. Then I grilled them a little bit. This step softens them and gets some of the water out.


We've also got a lot of venison sausage so I fried up a pound of that with some chopped mushrooms, red peppers, tomatoes and the pulp from the zucchini. I also added some pasta sauce to the mix.

I rushed and it ended up really wet, I should have cooked the veggies (especially the tomatoes) first. So I added some ground up cornbread stuffing which dried things out nicely. Then I added the sausage filling to the boats.


And covered in shredded mozzarella cheese.

Each boat was a good meal for one person so we had these for dinner and lunch the next day. I probably should have grilled the boats a little more, the drier they are at the start the easier they will be to eat.


No comments: