Friday, April 3, 2009

ER is done

I just watched the last episode of ER. Its up on Hulu if you didn't see it broadcast. I didn't, officially speaking I "don't watch tv".
Anyway the first episode of ER was broadcast on September 19, 1994. I know that because I checked Wikipedia. On September 19, 1994 I was 18 years old, working as a surveyor's assistant, at that point we would have been starting the closure of the Waterville, Maine landfill and I didn't know squat. I didn't know what I what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go or what my options were.
Hulu didn't exist, neither did Wikipedia. At that point if I'd wanted to find out when a TV series started I'd have had to get in the car and drive to the library. Bill Clinton was president and I wasn't happy about it but as I say I didn't know shit about shit.
In 4 months I'd head off to college, the program was "Interactive Communications". I didn't know what it was but I figured it had to be better than freezing to death out surveying. I was dating a girl I was convinced was "the one". My conviction that she was "the one" didn't stop me from cheating on her in college where I developed a little theory I called "everybody cheats". That following summer she left me for another guy and broke my heart.

Today I'm 33 years old, married. We own a house and have a dog. There are 3 cars in the driveway and 2 motorcycles in the garage. I still don't know where I'm going or what my options are. The only real improvement I've made in 15 years is that I seem to have an idea how little I actually know. These days I help people make television. No not "televisions", television shows, I'm behind the scenes, way behind the scenes.

So I watched that last episode of ER and now I'm trying not to be too sentimental.

-Curt

No comments: