Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The days of cheap oil are back?

Apparently those who said cheap oil would return are right. Well we don't know yet if its cheap, cheap oil or just cheaper cheap oil. Either way I'm okay with it. I've been real worried about heating my house this winter and how much that was going to eat into my toy and entertainment budget...
With oil back under $100 a barrel we should see the cost of gas, diesel and heating fuel continue to slide, I'm pretty pleased with that news. The thing I'm worried about is that Mr. and Mrs. American idiot are now immune to $2 or $3 a gallon gas and will go back to buying big stupid SUVs to haul their crumb grabbers in. We've made some advance in the last couple years in cutting our consumption, lets not let that slide. 30mpg minimum standard for cars and 25mpg for all trucks up to 1 ton capacity is something that can be done within the next 5 years, it should be done and indeed friends it MUST be done or we'll be even deeper in the crapper the next time theres an "oil crisis". Lets not backslide like we did in the '80s. Make no mistake, the next "oil crisis" is just around the corner.

No comments: