Friday, May 29, 2009

Disassembled the 200A last night, thats the little red Coleman in the trio picture.
Its a really simple lantern to take apart, 2 wrenches required. A good cleaning revealed its BEAT. The paint is trashed, the ventilator (thats the top part) was bent pretty badly and the valve is all gunked up.
Supposedly Rustoleum makes a good color match for the red so I'm gonna give that a shot. I could undoubtedly buy a replacement 200A for what I'm going to spend in parts and time with this one but thats not the point, that replacement lantern wouldn't be my grandfather's old lantern...

I've also sort of thought about just waxing this one and keeping the "patina" that its gotten from a lifetime (its certainly older than me) of use...

Anyway for parts I'm going to go whole hog and replace just about everything that could need replacing starting with the missing globe, the valve packing (don't want to get it together and have it leak) and generator. Other than that it should just be a matter of cleaning and reassembly... What interests me is how simple these things really are and how effective. I've got the bug now, I'll need to avoid yard sales and the potential for acquiring a ton of them...

1 comment:

cubcadet said...

I have had tthose lamps for years, and had just gotten my current one going again. I`m rebuilding a 220F right now. I`m waiting on a replacement packing kit I ordered from Coleman dot com. I`m soaking the fount now. Some guys have told me to use kerosene and bb`s to clean out the fount, but Coleman said there`s a chance you`d wipe out the inside coating. Mine`s pretty rusted, so I`m just soaking it in kero.